Portfolio Finance Analyst
Duration: 3 months
Rate: £300 - £330 a day inside IR35 Umbrella
Able to travel to the office in Havant once a week.
You will be working with one of the largest and most diverse energy companies in the UK and Ireland involved in the production, storage, distribution and supply of gas and the generation, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity and other energy services to over 9 million customers across our Retail brands.
The company has recently embarked on a 5 year+ £1Bn IT transformation programme spanning all areas of the business to support its continuing strategy. Effectively harnessing Data and Analytics will become an essential strategic capability to continue to operate and compete effectively in its markets and business segments.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of the Portfolio Finance Analyst role is to maintain financial controls and systems, including budgeting for all IT project expenditure. Day-to-day activities will include working closely with project and programme managers, senior management and other stakeholders within IT to provide a project cost accounting function to a growing portfolio of over 100 projects.
- Provide a professional finance function within the IT Portfolio Office to ensure the timely provision of project funding end effective financial control.
- Maintain financial controls enabling Project Cost Accounting for the portfolio including spend against budget, forecast spend and cost variance analysis.
- Manage the annual budgeting and roadmap process for IT projects.
- Provide financial management support for projects within the IT change portfolio, including budget development and monitoring, purchase order requisition and fulfilment, and reconciliation of projects and their close out.
- Ensure projects are managing their finances in line with the Transformational Change Governance Framework.
- Provide support and guidance to project managers in tracking their budgets.
- Monitor compliance with portfolio reporting / financial standards and intervene when this deviates or slips.
- Review funding requests to ensure they remain within approved project budgets.
- Participate in project review meetings to highlight finance related matters.
- Experience in annual budgeting process for projects or portfolios - IT projects would be desirable.
- Background in Portfolio Office functions or PMO functions, using collaborative skills in coaching others to complete required reports and managing financial reporting cycle on large projects.
- Hands on experience with day to day accounting.
- A demonstrable understanding of the Energy industry and IT.
- Awareness of safety practices within high risk engineering environments.
- Awareness of information security practices within commercially sensitive environments.
Functional and Technical Skills
- Knowledge of the Oracle Project Cost Accounting system (or similar) would be advantageous.
- An excellent understanding of Project Cost Accounting fundamentals. Study towards an accountancy or related financial qualification would be helpful but is not essential.
- Good understanding of end-to-end project life-cycle delivery.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
Communication and Personal Attributes
- Ability to deliver under pressure whilst building relationships.
- Customer focused approach.
- Highly articulate with effective written and interpersonal skills
- Team player.
- Strong Influencing skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in a challenging environment and develop new skills.
- Excellent analytic skills
if you feel you are suitable please submit your CV in the first instance.