12 month contract
My Client is looking for a Mechanical Designer with Land Vehicle experience to join the team in Farnborough for a 12 month contract.
This role will sit within my clients Hybrid Electric Drives group who specialise in the design, manufacture and test of advanced electro-mechanical drives for military vehicles; both tracked and wheeled. The group have developed advanced drives for tracked vehicles in the form of an electric-cross drive transmission (E-X-Drive®), in wheel drives (Hub Drive) and other drive systems for wheeled vehicles.
This unique opportunity will offer the successful candidate work ranging from the conduct of design studies, sub system design and analysis through to the production and testing of full scale, technology demonstrator prototypes.
Responsibilities will include:-
- Conduct of design and analysis work to enable sizing of components and features so they will meet the customer's requirements.
- Delivering concise and timely feedback to the design team and / or customer including (where appropriate) recommendations for modifications.
- Production and communication of conceptual designs that will meet requirements.
- Ensuring that design rationale and analysis assumptions made are recorded and then stored for future reference.
- Provision of support to development of validation tests, test plans and conduct of tests as required.
- Using trials results to validate the analytical models used and identify areas for improvement.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Degree or higher degree in a related discipline, e.g. Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Electro Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, or similar.
- An interest or experience in automotive, military vehicles and/or off-road driving would be beneficial.
- An understanding of vehicle transmission systems would be beneficial.
- An understanding of autonomous systems would be beneficial.
- Ability to identify the approach, assumptions and mathematics required to solve an engineering problem.
- Attention to detail and a concern for accuracy
- Good written and verbal presentation skills with the ability to sustain a rational argument and present recommendations to a wide range of people.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications (e.g. Excel, Access, Word)
- Ability to use CAD software (ideally Solid Works) to communicate and explore ideas and to interrogate designs and obtain required information such as dimensions of features.
- Experience of manufacture and assembly and familiarity with workshop practices and techniques would be beneficial.
- Conduct timely and accurate work to produce effective solutions with concise and valid recommendations.
- As necessary, propose methods for validation trials, produce trials plans, support trials, analyse results, validate models used and identify areas for improvement.
- Understand and work within a range of requirements and British / ISO standards applicable to the mechanical system being developed.
- Undertake specific tasks or respond to actions from technical meetings as these arise.
- Flexibility in working hours would be beneficial.
- Able to work individually and as part of a team.
If you feel you would be suitable, please send in a copy of your CV