Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Boscombe Down
Duration: 6 months
Rate: £40 p/h Inside IR35
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary role of the Mechanical Design Engineer is to deliver effective and cost efficient designs, assist in the development of the Design function to professional standards by being a trained and professionally qualified engineer. he role will support efficiency, effectiveness and consistency across the business that promotes the work of the function. They are required to support the leader of their function within QinetiQ in collaboration and support of the business.
Production of Engineering designs within a Solution Delivery team. The Design Engineer function will align with Delivery team, program and solution Strategy, the role will also have a collaboration requirement with all other Engineering functions and services. Responsibilities include:
- Work within established certification philosophies to meet customer, environmental, operational and quality requirements.
- Enable activities, including verification and validation which demonstrate the degree of compliance of design solutions within requirements and regulation
- Be proactive in the teams approach to Configuration control & Design Quality - utilizing best practice from the wider organisation & external good practic
- To produce customer focused design solutions to known Technology Delivery Plans and budgets
- Maintenance of records in line with local procedures (ISO 9100).
- Contribute towards continuous improvement and Personal Development. Be aligned with the vision of the solution delivery team, and empowered to achieve success. Displays substantial practical knowledge and experience of aeronautical engineering and may provide guidance to others.
- Is able to work within an environment where a group of people with diverse personalities, skills, experiences and perspectives are empowered to collaborate towards a common goal.
- Able to effectively communicate, using a range of techniques including presentations to customers and delivery teams. Is able to identify and communicate best practice within the aeronautical engineering discipline.
- Translates logical designs into physical designs, including the delivery of prototypes for approval by the customer. Designs tests to measure performance of prototypes against specification and inform further development if required.
- Can assist with the safety management tools used at particular stages of the design lifecycle. Understands how identified hazards affect the safety of the platform, and the association between hazard and risk.
- Demonstrates where the proposed solutions meets requirements of the wider system and makes trade-offs to improve delivery of capability.
- Qualified engineer to at least ONC/D standard or equivalent engineering experience.
- Experience in delivering Design packages within the aeronautical environment or similar.
- Competence against the agreed Technical leader Framework at a level of Supervised Practitioner or higher desirable.
- Professional Membership of a recognized body to Incorporated Engineer or equivalent.
- Understanding of CAA Part 21J and other regulatory functions.
- Suitable Engineering & Project background to support the overall needs of the Delivery team.