Role Title: Debt Manager (Operations)
Location: London (remote)
Duration: 6 Months (maternity cover)
Rate: £275p/day - PAYE or £350p/day - Umbrella
The primary responsibility of the Debt Securities Operations team is to manage the trade capture, allocation, confirmation, settlement processes and associated risks across a wide number of markets, for both cash bonds and repos. The team also support the settlement of primary issuance for the Debt Capital Markets group. The team is spread across London, Kuala Lumpur and Manila.
Key deliverables of this role include the following:
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the function across all markets for bonds and repos. This may include activities such as trade capture, front-to-back reconciliations, client allocation and confirmation and communication with settlement teams for pre-matching and fails management, cash, and depot reconciliation.
- Ensure adherence to the Debt Security Ops control framework including weekly risk and control reporting, month end Post Trade Control Pack sign off and adherence to the global escalation matrix. Support of the 'manage by metrics' culture is essential.
- Provide support and guidance to the Operations Hub teams in KL and Manila and operate a 'one team' approach to problem solving and workload balancing.
- Develop strong relationships with external client base and strive to delivery excellent client service at all times to priority clients.
- Contribute to the culture of process improvement through driving projects and enhancements.
- Work closely with the Business, IT, CCO and Finance to minimise operational losses within the DSO function.
The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
Also, by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Impact on the Business/Function
- Work to expected standards and in adherence with FIM compliant procedures
- Look to ensure that the role being performed is operationally efficient as possible and operate within a cost-controlled culture.
- Work with a control focused mindset to mitigate operational risk.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Line Management & Regional Operations Management
- Debt Capital Markets
- Balance Sheet Management
- Debt Trading & Financing
- Securities Financing
- HSBC Institutional Sales and Client Base
Leadership & Teamwork
- To ensure that the area maintains high levels of control in all aspects of its work.
- Teamwork - Ensure that areas identified for improvement are communicated and re-currant issues are resolved at source.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Implementation of key controls and MI to manage operational risk on a daily basis, and consolidation of relevant MI data regionally & globally to manage business - including volumes, cash breaks, and failed trades.
- Specific experience working in an Investment Bank operational environment.
- Good understanding of the debt securities products including Cash Bond, Repo, Triparty Repo, MTN, CP and Convertibles.
- Knowledge of core bonds ICSD and CSD's to include but not restricted to, Euroclear, ClearStream, Crest, US, France, Italy, and Spain.
- Understanding of general debt securities settlement mechanics.
- Understanding of operational risk and control.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to develop strong relationships with the business.
- Ability to problem solve, articulate requirements, and escalate with minimum input from senior management team.
- Works closely with peers to proactively resolve issues.
- Ability to drive change and process enhancements.
- Strong teamwork skills - flexible to changing requirements within the team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills