2nd Line Desktop Engineer - London/Remote Hybrid
2nd Line Desktop Engineer - London/Remote Hybrid
This role is based in Reigate, Surrey
The duration of this contract is 4 months (with potential to extend further)
The pay rate on offer is £271 per day (Inside IR35 - via Umbrella ONLY)
This role is working for a multinational insurance corporation with operations in more than 80 countries and jurisdictions
PLEASE NOTE: you will be required to work on site for the first 4 - 6 weeks, after this you will be required to work on site for 1 week out of every 4 weeks
The IT department contains teams for Infrastructure, Development, Testing, Business Intelligence, and Production Support. The Infrastructure Team requires an additional Infrastructure Engineer to join their ranks.
The role requires someone who holds a wide-ranging technical skillset, works well within a close-knit team, and above all, enjoys the challenge of working with technology.
- The position sits alongside fifteen other engineers and specialists. As a team, they are responsible for supporting, maintaining, and implementing all aspects of the IT infrastructure.
- This is an excellent opportunity to work closely with a team skilled in all aspects of IT, with decades of experience between them.
- Fundamentals of the infrastructure include a core of Microsoft technologies across both the desktop and server estate, substantial presence in cloud computing environments e.g. AWS and Azure, enterprise hardware from vendors including Cisco, Fortinet, Avaya and Dell.
- The model candidate must be enthusiastic and self-motivated, enjoy working in a varied and challenging environment, and preferably have career experience of 2 years+ in supporting Wintel systems and a good understanding of remediating security vulnerabilities.
- The business model fully e-commerce that operates 24x7. Supporting the applications and infrastructure that deliver the proposition to market is a key role for the company.
The Infrastructure Engineer's role is to provide 1st and 2nd line levels of technical support to the business, covering all areas of IT deployed within the company.
- Provide excellent customer service and be the first point of call for IT support queries from internal staff, this could be via phone, email, Teams, and face-to-face.
- Take ownership of tracking and remediating security vulnerabilities within a given timeframe.
- Administer the internal ticketing system and act upon requests for change and system access.
- Diagnose a wide range of issues, from the user desktop environment to server applications.
- Be able to spot potential technical vulnerabilities and suggest resolution.
- Proactively monitor systems and take preventative measures to reduce system downtime.
- Highlight possible trends from re-occurring incidents.
- Update the internal knowledgebase with both technical guides for colleagues, and system usage procedures to aid customers.
- Work collaboratively with our parent company & third-party support services on diagnosing and troubleshooting issues.
- Adhere to all IT security policies and assistance in enforcing and monitoring of IT security policies.
- Understand the requirements of the business and suggest appropriate technologies to help deliver business goals.
- Perform as a member of the IT Infrastructure Team, working closely with other senior team members, and colleagues across the IT Department (onshore and offshore) in order to support all systems and technical processes.
Technical Skills & Expertise Required
- Excellent experience with Microsoft technologies across the board:
- Active Directory and GPO administration.
- Exchange administration.
- Win10 desktop management using SCCM, WDS & WSUS
- Good general knowledge of networking and technologies:
- The TCP/IP stack.
- Concept of VLANs and firewalls.
- Wireless configurations.
- Experienceinremediating vulnerabilities within a Microsoft environment:
- Scanning tools such as Nessus or Qualys.
- 2 years+ of 1st line technical helpdesk environment.
- 2nd line technical support experience.
- Experience of working within a change control environment or financial institution.
- Experience in virtualisation platforms such as VMware vSphere and ESX.
- Exposure to cloud-based environments, e.g. AWS, Azure.
- Exposure to Microsoft Server 2012 - 2016.
- Exposure to administration of telephony platforms, ideally Avaya.
- Exposure to administration of mobile devices, ideally Apple iOS.
- Scripting ability with PowerShell.
- Strong communication and customer service skillset is essential in order to effectively communicate to the business and understand their requirements and or issues.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to make sound and logical judgments.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills. Ability to perform general mathematical calculations.
- Able to conduct research into issues and process failures as required.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergencies.
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Able and willing to work unsocial hours from time to time in order to provide the required service to our customers.